Kronos Quartet played a lovely set at Sacramento State on Tuesday, 14 April 2009 as part of the Department of Music‘s New Millennium Series. This was the first such related concert I went to, and it was really good (and casual).
I tried to go see Kronos Quartet when they played at UC Davis’ Mondavi Center, but no one wanted to go. While Sac State’s Music Recital Hall isn’t as glamorous, it is definitely more intimate. I wish I could have taken at least one picture, but it didn’t feel right.
The program featured a very diverse range of pieces from composers all over the world, including one from Iraq. I regret that I didn’t take note of their encore piece.
- 1. Crossfader – Raz Mesinai
2. Ya Habibi Ta’ala (My Love, Come Quickly) – Midhat Assem
3. Alap from Raga Mishra Bhairavi – Ram Narayan
4. Oh Mother, The Handsome Man Tortures Me – “Unknown”
5. …hold me, neighbor, in this storm… – Aleksandra Vrebalov
6. Nomatophobis – J.G. Thirlwell
7. String Quartet No. 4 (A Cradle Song) – Hanna Kulenty
8. Triple Quartet [in three movements] – Steve Reich
The concert was also co-sponsored by the CCHAT Center, a non-profit school that teaches deaf and hard-of-hearing children in the Sacramento area.
[photo via Learning Musician]