At last. I’ve finally (almost) finished my D&L redesign. I’m tentatively calling this D&L version 4.0 (beta). There are some kinks I need to work out, but I’m just so sick of working on it and still blogging on my former theme that I just decided to switch and continually tweak the theme.
Things I need to do:
- Validate the theme to specific XHTML standards. There are probably lots of bugs and errors.
- Tweak the sidebar to make it widget-ready. I’ve already done this step, but I don’t think I did it right.
- Fix the sidebar flash slideshow. It works sometimes. Or at least that first time.
- Installl new plugins.
- Install new Gallery2 theme for my gallery page.
- Install BBPress to serve as my forum page.
I’m calling this specific theme DNL 0.1 Pro. I’m thinking about stripping it down to release as a free WordPress theme that will be called DNL 0.1 Lite. I need to polish it a lot before I release it. Well, that or I prepare for tons of criticism.
Overall, I’m content with this redesign. Obviously I had bigger plans for the redesign and for the most part, it looks like what I envisoned. But the limitations of my skills became apparent rather quickly. It took a couple weeks to study and learn PHP and specific WordPress code. I think design a good theme, but I can’t code for crapsake. Plus, my Photoshop skills are super limited.
I think this designing themes will be my new hobby. Well, if it doesn’t become my new hobby, it’s because I suck at it and gave up.